A Healthy Way through the Lenten Season

“What eating practices should I change?”

If there is one season when one should start changing for a healthier lifestyle, I think it should be during this Lent. Lent is a season of fasting and prayer, and fasting, I believe, should be done in consideration of the holistic renewal of a person—not only spiritually but also physically. One way or the other, the field medicine have proven that fasting has a lot of physical benefits.

Sure, there are different kinds of fasting, but for the sake of this post, I will concentrate on my personal commitment to a healthier eating habits this Lent and beyond.

See, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit, you shall have them for food. –Genesis 1:29

since it enters, not the heart but the stomach, and goes out into the sewer? (Thus he declared all foods clean.) –Mark 7:19

Forget about soda. I am not really a fun of soda, I drink some occasionally but even though I know that there no nutritional value in it, I still drink. This time, I want to do do away with it. Instead, drink more water and homemade fresh fruit juices.

Chips and curls, and french fries. I believe I can live without these food except for occasional cravings. Oh my French fries, it is even ranked as one of the unhealtiest food but sometimes I am still tempted to eat, I hope I can resist.

Less meat, more fish. I am trying so hard. I am not a meat lover but when I am in school, most of the menu are meat and there’s no way I can eat something different. But at home, I make sure to cook more fish, even though my husband likes pork and beef a lot. Well, he has no choice but to eat my cooking; and later on, I know both of us will be healthier.

Increase vegetable and fruit intake. Again, I have to make a lot of effort for this especially for fruits. Fruits are very expensive but I think it really needs a budget. I am just glad the some green leafy vegetables grow in our front and back yards and anytime I want to eat, I can just go outside and pick.

Look more outside, not inside the refrigerator. I need to look more in our yard for food instead of the refrigerator. Vegetables are still healthier!

On another note, I have started reading the book “Food, Fitness, and Faith for Women.” It is with high hopes that I can keep with this healthy habits within 21 days. Because a study said that if you can do things for 21 days straight, there is a great probability that you can do it in the following days. So let me try and I promise to let you know if my improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment